Monday, February 1, 2010

Babies R Not Us

This weekend I went shopping. Babies R Us, Guys and Dolls, Target, etc. It was baby central! I'm standing in the aisle of Target, browsing the...um, I dunno. At that moment, it hit me that I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing! I don't know what anything is for. I'm reading the descriptions and they mean absolutely nothing to me. I don't know what I need and what I don't need.
My mind starts racing to the future and it becomes this completely overwhelming moment. How am I going to know what to do? I mean, I realize that babies need to be fed and need to sleep and I think I probably will figure that out. But it's the other things, the things you don't think about that I worry about.
I read an article today that most women are completely over prepared for delivery and totally under-prepared for new motherhood. Great! Just what I needed to hear.
I realize that women have been becoming new mommies for centuries and I'm not the first. When there's someone else's life is in your hands, it becomes such a bigger deal! And women have been doing this for centuries but I haven't done this for centuries.

If you had to give a piece of advice that you would've loved to know, what would it be?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Heidi, It's fun to follow your blog! We are so excited and love to hear about our grandbaby. Don't worry, you will be the greatest mom! You have so much love to give and that is most important. My advice: Don't stress; what works for one mom doesn't always work for another. When baby is here he/she will make it clear what he/she likes and needs. Every gadget there is can't replace you! You don't need everything before baby comes, and you will get many gifts! (I already have over 1,000 disposable diapers for baby--no kidding). Love, Grandma Sharon

Jennie said...

You definitely don't need every gadget and toy there is out there. Toys just overwhelm your house and sometimes the baby is more happy with newspaper and boxes.
You will just love that little baby and know it better than anyone else will. You will get to know what it needs and all it's little quirks and somehow everyone's advice won't all fit as every baby is different.
I do love the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. That has been a big help with the importance of sleep, which really does make a difference for a happy baby.

Jen and Chris said...

Obviously I do not have my own child but I nanny for twin girls, they are eleven months old. They have way too many toys and way too many dishes! I realize things get backed up, but when they start eating baby food you really only need a few dishes and spoons... not an army of them. Also, bibs that snap (in my opinion) are better than velcro (I know your newborn won't need a bib for a while) because they learn to take off the velcro themselves. I don't think anyone is every fully prepared for motherhood but you have all the love that it takes to be fully qualified! I will continue praying for you and the baby to have a healthy pregnancy.

Jamie Griswold said...

Make sure you let the little one eat Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and orange juice ;-)

Unknown said...

just let him do anything. no rules whatsoever.

of course it's hard to enforce anything when all he does is poo and cry.

Danielle Smith said...

After having four kids I have been able to weed down what I need and what I don't need for a baby when it comes. I should really do a blog, haha. Seriously, if you have any questions as of what is really necessary(I promise it's not a long list), then I will fill you in. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. You will be surprised at how natural everything comes once you have the baby. Even labor and delivery are not so bad. Trust in yourself and your husband. Be patient, takes deep breaths often and it's okay to let a baby cry it out when you can't figure out what's wrong or even if you just feel too tired and stressed to deal with it. Everything is going to be just fine. Just think about the positive sides of having a baby and get yourself more excited and less overwhelmed.