Saturday, October 23, 2010

Another hospital visit

Nearly 2 weeks ago now, I went to the emergency room because I was having pain in my right lower abdomen and was concerned about possibly having appendicitis. The doctor checked my white cell count and it was normal, and I didn't have any other symptoms (nausea, vomiting) so he didn't think it was appendicitis. He let me go home and come back the next day to have an ultrasound to check for an ovarian cyst. The ultrasound showed nothing and everything looked normal. I continued to have pain but it knda subsided and I just thought it must have been gas or something ridiculous.
The pain really returned on Wednesday and continued to get way worse. It woke me up that night. On thursday I returned to the hospital. The ER doctor decided to figure out if this was appendicitis or a pelvic infection. The pelvic exam was normal so it wasn't that. I had to have a cat scan and it came back that it was in fact appendicitis. They called the surgeon on call and he said that because I was presenting so atypically, they were going to give me antibiotics and just see if my pain went away overnight. It didn't so yesterday at about 11 I had my appendix removed. They still wondered if it was appendicitis, but once they got in there they confirmed that it was.
The surgery was laprscopic so I have just 3 holes in my tummy. They are pretty sore. The worst part for me was coming out of the anesthesia. I was so disoriented! I needed to cough but I couldn't, I couldn't get comfortable and it was just so much of a drgged feeling. Right away they gave me tons of IV pain killers which made me feel more drugged but didn't really help with the pain. I tried to sleep but only could in like 20 minute increments. I also couldn't go to the bathroom so I had to get catheterized...boo! But it sure did help!
I'm feeling much better this morning but my incision spots are still sore. I'll be going home today and I'm so excited to see Ross and Jude!

The first night i stayed here, my mom stayed with Ross at home with Jude. I was concerned about Jude not taking a bottle, but he did fine! I think it was harder on me than on Jude! Last night it was just Ross and Jude at home. I hope they had a good time together. I'm anxious to go home!

I cant imagine how women have babies while recovering from a lot of drugs. I had a drug free birth and it was hard but I just had to recover from the birth, not anything else. I've had so many drugs while here I just feel lousy. I can't imagine having to come off the drugs and take care of a newborn....or recover from surgery and taking care of a newborn!

Anyway, I'm glad I got it removed when I did because it didn't burst! Hopefully the recovery will go well and I'll be back to my normal day to day life as soon as possible!

No comments: